Skip to main content

Should I Do This?

HairQueen News:

Should I, a hairstylist and small business owner of over thirty years, "do" social media?

"They" say we should, but quite honestly with my hours behind the chair, the time it takes to run my businesses, and the desire to have a decent work, life balance I question the if, what, how, why and when of social media.

If I post, or Madison, my marketing assistant posts a picture, a quote, an article, are we helping anyone?  I'd like to think we are.

What should we post? Before and after pictures, hairstyling and/or business tips, product news...or do people already have enough resources for this information?

How should I post, how often, where...Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn?

Why should I post? For me, for you, for the public?

When should I post? Does the time of day, the day of the week matter?

This is what I am thinking about as Winter winds down and Spring begins.....

I'd love your feedback on this topic. Let's talk face to face next time you are in the chair! Or feel free to respond to this blog or send me an email, please.

Madison and I will share any feed back next month.  BTW Madison is my virtual assistant from Freedom Makers. Freedom Makers is owned by my client Laura Renner for more information on Freedom Makers check out their website, (http://www.freedom-makers.com/).


Promotion of the Month:


I love a promotion as much as anyone.  How about I offer you 10% off all the salon products you purchase from me in the month of March? 10% is a nice little savings for you as you shop local and buy good stuff for your lovely head of hair!

Madison reminded me that for this month's blog, people mentioned having more product recommendations, for thinning hair, for volume, etc. 

Thinning hair is a tough one.  

There is thinning hair and there is hair that is thin, the difference is, thinning hair is hair loss and hair that is thin is hair that is fine.  You could have a full head of fine hair; sometimes nice and full and sometimes not.  

Hair loss is a different story all together.

If you have fine hair, it is important to get regular haircuts and to use products for fine hair.  If you have hair loss, working with a good hairstylist and a trusted doctor is the best remedy.

Client Corner:  

The Client Corner, this is an important feature of my Blogg because without clients I am a person with scissors.  

Over the years, I have a accumulated a fabulous roster of clients.   There are my current clients, my previous clients, and my future clients (the ones I have not met yet).

Recently, one of my wonderful longtime clients and I had an email exchange about her leaving me; she said I could quote her so her it is:

"Apologies for lagging so long before I wrote. I recently got my first haircut without you! *shocker* Yes, I have let my hair go unfortunately for far too long, and I finally updated my hair! It was time to transition my move to the south bay and truly move here. I'm sorry we never officially celebrated our last cut together and said good-bye in person. It's been great several years that you've taught me how to care for my hair and style my hair. I have been a client of yours since Topps Salon and it's also been wonderful to see what a strong business women you are through all your transitions".  Jen

Runs Businesses with Scissors:

The salon industry is not for the faint of heart and yet it is filled with hairstylists with big, big hearts.  

I believe, because of this, we must take the time to work "on" our businesses as well as "in" our businesses

This is something I have years of experience with and bring to to the table  as a Business Coach.  

I recently had a lovely compliment from a former employee, this is what she said as she shared about her ten year anniversary in the salon industry.

"Last month marked my ten year anniversary of receiving my cosmetology license. Wow. Best decision I ever made! This career saved me when I was drowning in depression and self doubt. But I had finally found it! What I had been searching for for what felt like forever. A purpose. And I found that it came so natural to me! And Not only I, but others thought I was good! Everyone could see it. I had pride for something in my life. In something people entrusted and even paid me to do! And I made beautiful relationships with the most awesome artistic people. Most are still a part of my life to this day. Thank you Amina Kahealani and Lacey Weinberger for helping me survive cosmetology school in the first place and continuing to be inspirations to me in both our careers and in life. 

Thank you Suzanne D. Van Houten for being the mentor I never thought I'd get the chance to experience even if I didn't see it in the beginning. I still refer back to your wisdom all the time and I'm so happy to call you a friend and even coworker on occasion! 

Wow 10 years and I still love what I do just as much as when I started! I'm running my own life and my business on my terms and it's an amazingly freeing feeling:) I continue to meet new people that inspire me every day and I thank all of you as well. You know who you are. Here's to another 10!!!" - Gina

Seriously if you want to grow your business in 2017 let's talk soon!

Have question on how to set and achieve your professional goals? Feel free to make an appointment with me. You can reach me at 510-545-2955 or suzanne@suzannevanhouten.com.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Wonderful Decade

 HairQueen News It is with joy and a little sorrow that I after a fantastic ten year run I am announcing the closing of Swans Studios. Thank You Swans Studios My lease is up, I’m retired from my full-time career and now it’s time to close my brick-and-mortar business doors. The good news is that 936B Clay Street will reopen under new ownership by Diane Zelaya, my long-time associate and friend.  Congratulations Diane Join me in wishing Diane well in her new business endeavor and me well in this phase of my retirement plan. Don't worry I will continue to do my one-day-a-week V.I.P. Client Day at Diane’s Studios, Bay Vibrant. You can't get rid of me and Never My contact information remains the same. If you would like to rotate into my one-day-a-week schedule call 510-545-2955 or email, suzanne@suzannevanhouten.com or click here to book online.  Happy End of Summer!

Miss You

HairQueen News The past six months since I stepped into semi-retirement life have flown by! My new schedule of one-day-a-week continues to be working out.  I truly do miss so many of you from my full-time schedule.  There have been times that I have grieved this change and times I pinch myself in gratitude for this change, especially for the time with my granddaughters.  I continue to offer my gray hair transition specialty service. If you or someone you know is ready to embrace their grey, I would love the referral. Check out this article here for more details . For information re my one-day-a-week schedule and for future appointments with me call 510-545-2955 or email, suzanne@suzannevanhouten.com or click here to book online.                                   Swans Studios There are changes in the air at Swans Studios, I am looking for someone to share my studio and for someone to rent our third studio, please pass the word. Here’s a link to the ad on Craigslist. Come Join

Salon Suite Opportunity

HairQueen News Hello, I hope your 2023 is off to a good start! I trust you had a lovely holiday season, seems like an age ago now?  My very best wishes to you for a peaceful and delightful 2023. My holiday season was festive and especially fun with a one year old and a three and half year old, (granddaughters are the best.) I cannot help but marvel at how little time I seemed to have with my new “tip of my scissors schedule”, as I prepped for the holidays and wrapped up the year for Swans Studios.  Its true retirement life is a busy life. My new schedule of one-day-a-week is working out so far.  I do miss so many of you from my full-time schedule.   I know you are in good hands. I appreciate the love, on-going support and good wishes. Swans Studios News I am now looking for a new person to join Swans Studios. I would to find someone wonderful to share my studio since I am no longer there full-time and it’s an amazing place to work. If you know any hair stylists, ready f