Skip to main content

'Tis the end of summer....

HairQueen News:

I've been back in Oakland for a few weeks after a three week-long vacation in England and Ireland. It was an amazing trip, part heritage, part reunion, part tourist and very inspirational.   

I am so grateful that I was able to visit my old stomping ground, London, as well as to visit places new to me.  To name most of them, I was in London, Oxford, Cornwall, Mautby, Much Wenlock, Dingle, Mulingar, Galway, Dublin and Essex. My husband and I did a home and car exchange through Homeexchange.com. I highly recommend this as a way to travel and experience life in new places beyond the usual tourist sights.

I found myself looking for new and different trends in hair and clothing from what we have here in the Bay Area, where I live and work.  Quiet honestly, I saw a lot of similarities between America and the British Isles.  The big name brands scan the oceans and the street fashion is similar in an urban way.




One of the highlights of my trip was that in Galway we stayed in a castle and I must admit to being very taken with a real life Rapunzel experience.

I was also very taken with the castle owner and his man bun.






Anyway, with summer coming to an end, I'm eager to hear about where my clients and friends vacationed to during the summer. Book an appointment with me so we can get your hair ready for the fall and winter seasons as well as catch up on our travels and life at home.

Trends of the Season:
Here are some hair trends straight from the Fall 2015 couture fashion runway shows to inspire your own fall look.

Low Ponytails


Deep Side Parts



Hair Accessories














Product of the Month:

Also with Fall and Winter approaching it is time to think about holiday styles and the upcoming party season, so my product of the month now through October is good old hairspray.

I have BY Hairspray by Framesi in both light and strong hold as well as a BY Shine Mist Spray for a little extra shine.  I also carry Kenra Hairspray in a travel size for your purse and travel toiletry bag.

All Hairsprays will be 10% Off - so you can stock up for the party season.


Problem of the Month:  

Send me your questions and I will answer them here.

Question:  My scalp has been itchy. What should I do?

Answer: Itchy scalp is a problem of the scalp. It can be caused by poorly rinsed hair when shampooing, a change in diet or products or both, sun exposure, stress and poor brushing.  First make sure you brush your scalp before you shampoo, use a shampoo for dry and itchy scalp, wet your hair and scalp thoroughly, lather the shampoo and massage your scalp, rinse thoroughly and follow with a conditioner for your hair type.  Most shampoos these days are very mild but you must rinse thoroughly to remove the shampoo residue from your hair and scalp.


Runs Businesses With Scissors:

Time to gear up for the busy fall season.  The economy is improving, our clients have more disposable income, yet they are stretched thin with the juggling act of working and taking care of day to day life.  We must be on our game and prepared for what our clients want and need and for changes in our businesses, "when it rains it pours".  Clients come and go, staff come and go, and we must keep the business moving forward, growing, and changing.  It is when we stand still that we have lost.

A common question salon owners ask me is, "How can I find more stylists?"  I ask them, "What are you prepared to do for a stylist?"  We must help our stylists build a career and we must treat our own work as a career not just a job.  We must work on our business, not just in our business if we are to have our business in the future.

Need a little help with running your business from "behind-the-chair"?  Call me at 510-545-2955 or email me suzanne@suzannevanhouten.com and tell me your situation.

It's tough out there but because you're out there you can compete in the race.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Wonderful Decade

 HairQueen News It is with joy and a little sorrow that I after a fantastic ten year run I am announcing the closing of Swans Studios. Thank You Swans Studios My lease is up, I’m retired from my full-time career and now it’s time to close my brick-and-mortar business doors. The good news is that 936B Clay Street will reopen under new ownership by Diane Zelaya, my long-time associate and friend.  Congratulations Diane Join me in wishing Diane well in her new business endeavor and me well in this phase of my retirement plan. Don't worry I will continue to do my one-day-a-week V.I.P. Client Day at Diane’s Studios, Bay Vibrant. You can't get rid of me and Never My contact information remains the same. If you would like to rotate into my one-day-a-week schedule call 510-545-2955 or email, suzanne@suzannevanhouten.com or click here to book online.  Happy End of Summer!

Miss You

HairQueen News The past six months since I stepped into semi-retirement life have flown by! My new schedule of one-day-a-week continues to be working out.  I truly do miss so many of you from my full-time schedule.  There have been times that I have grieved this change and times I pinch myself in gratitude for this change, especially for the time with my granddaughters.  I continue to offer my gray hair transition specialty service. If you or someone you know is ready to embrace their grey, I would love the referral. Check out this article here for more details . For information re my one-day-a-week schedule and for future appointments with me call 510-545-2955 or email, suzanne@suzannevanhouten.com or click here to book online.                                   Swans Studios There are changes in the air at Swans Studios, I am looking for someone to share my studio and for someone to rent our third studio, please pass the word. Here’s a link to the ad on Craigslist. Come Join

Salon Suite Opportunity

HairQueen News Hello, I hope your 2023 is off to a good start! I trust you had a lovely holiday season, seems like an age ago now?  My very best wishes to you for a peaceful and delightful 2023. My holiday season was festive and especially fun with a one year old and a three and half year old, (granddaughters are the best.) I cannot help but marvel at how little time I seemed to have with my new “tip of my scissors schedule”, as I prepped for the holidays and wrapped up the year for Swans Studios.  Its true retirement life is a busy life. My new schedule of one-day-a-week is working out so far.  I do miss so many of you from my full-time schedule.   I know you are in good hands. I appreciate the love, on-going support and good wishes. Swans Studios News I am now looking for a new person to join Swans Studios. I would to find someone wonderful to share my studio since I am no longer there full-time and it’s an amazing place to work. If you know any hair stylists, ready f