Skip to main content

Don't Be Scared!!!

Fall is in the air and so are fall colors, so if you are worried about changing up your color for the new season don't be, even a tiny change in a haircut or color can be really scary for long-time clients.

Recently, several  of my long-time clients have opted for a bit more of a change.  For one of them, we made a change to her haircut.  I showed her a picture and too my surprise she went for it.  Yeah!  It was so rewarding for me to "modernize" her style, less layers, heavier side swept fringe and she let me cut four to five inches off the length. ( I heard it makes her look younger!)

Another long-time client, even longer than the first one came in for highlights to blend and disguise her grey.  A natural blond, it was time to refresh and add some depth to her overall hair color. During the consultation she asked, "Could I have some red highlights too?"  Something must be in the air!  Of course, I said "Yes!"  Ta da!  Her color looks great, fresh, shiny, and a little spicy!

Another client whom recently retired, opted to celebrate with some chestnut dimensional highlights in her all over black hair.  Fun!


Fall 2012 Looks from New York Fashion Week


Fall is here, and so are Fall colors. Use the natural seasonal colors to inspire a change in your color, or even try a shorter style.  It is time to start thinking about heavier fabrics, layers, boots, scarves and sweaters.

This is a good time to adjust your color to darker hues, think about a new haircut, break out of the routine...there's nothing worse than celebrating the holidays in a style rut!

Long time clients and their stylists can become very comfortable with each other.  I am grateful that after all these years my clients trust me and ask me to change their look, or say a bold or timid "yes" to my suggestions.

Don't be scared, love your hair!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Wonderful Decade

 HairQueen News It is with joy and a little sorrow that I after a fantastic ten year run I am announcing the closing of Swans Studios. Thank You Swans Studios My lease is up, I’m retired from my full-time career and now it’s time to close my brick-and-mortar business doors. The good news is that 936B Clay Street will reopen under new ownership by Diane Zelaya, my long-time associate and friend.  Congratulations Diane Join me in wishing Diane well in her new business endeavor and me well in this phase of my retirement plan. Don't worry I will continue to do my one-day-a-week V.I.P. Client Day at Diane’s Studios, Bay Vibrant. You can't get rid of me and Never My contact information remains the same. If you would like to rotate into my one-day-a-week schedule call 510-545-2955 or email, suzanne@suzannevanhouten.com or click here to book online.  Happy End of Summer!

Retirement Life

HairQueen News On October 1 2022 after 40 plus years of working full-time I stepped way-back from the salon chair and way-into retirement life.   As the date grew closer, I was and still am all over the place with so many feelings and uncertainties about how to navigate this next stage. To mark the occasion of my retirement I had a wonderful party, please see the previous blog, Endings and Beginnings.  Next, I went on a celebratory trip which included a week sailing the Atlantic Ocean on the Queen Mary 2.  So exciting! Crossing the Atlantic Ocean Gala Time Upon my return I am turning my attention to what it means to be an older, wiser, experienced, master of my trade.  As space in my life opens up I will take the opportunity to grow Swans Studios, to mentor, coach and consult within and beyond the salon industry. With more free time I will enjoy my granddaughters, my family, friends and hobbies. I know from many of you that the retired life is a busy life and I am grateful t

Salon Suite Opportunity

HairQueen News Hello, I hope your 2023 is off to a good start! I trust you had a lovely holiday season, seems like an age ago now?  My very best wishes to you for a peaceful and delightful 2023. My holiday season was festive and especially fun with a one year old and a three and half year old, (granddaughters are the best.) I cannot help but marvel at how little time I seemed to have with my new “tip of my scissors schedule”, as I prepped for the holidays and wrapped up the year for Swans Studios.  Its true retirement life is a busy life. My new schedule of one-day-a-week is working out so far.  I do miss so many of you from my full-time schedule.   I know you are in good hands. I appreciate the love, on-going support and good wishes. Swans Studios News I am now looking for a new person to join Swans Studios. I would to find someone wonderful to share my studio since I am no longer there full-time and it’s an amazing place to work. If you know any hair stylists, ready f